Priscilla Hoor, Director of Studies, alpha.b Institut Linguistique
Why should students learn French?
10 different answers to this crucial question… and a bonus answer!
- It will enable them to communicate with 220 Million of French-speaking people, throughout the world.
- They can convincingly say very important things such as : « Je t’aime, mon amour, tu es le soleil de ma vie…» or « Ne trouvez-vous pas, chère amie, que ce Château-Neuf-du-Pape eût mérité d’être plus longtemps carafé ? »
- They will be able to follow the proceedings of the European Court of Justice, whose working language is -of course- French.
- It’s easier to travel when you can speak the language. And, as France is the first touristic destination in the world, they are doomed to come one of those days…
- Speaking French can boost a CV and offer wider job opportunities.
- They can read Victor Hugo, Marcel Proust and Marguerite Yourcenar in the original language.
- So many languages have integrated French words and it’s nice to be able to trace the peregrination of the vocabulary: for instance, do you know that « to flirt » actually comes from a medieval French expression: « conter fleurette » which means « to talk about love »?
- Whatever you may have heard, the French language is easy to learn. Just pop in a second week of a full beginners’ class. You’ll be surprised to hear them have a conversation…
- They can sing the latest hit of Stromae under the shower.
- It’s better if they want to seduce a French person – very often, the French are not language gifted!
The bonus answer:
Last but not least… Because they may then decide to come and study at one of IALC member schools, a nice and efficient way of enhancing their language competences.
At alpha.b for instance, we make sure to provide a welcoming atmosphere as well as the necessary support so that their progress in French is rocketing… Come and check our website: www.alpha-b.fr
Priscilla Hoor is Director of Studies with Alpha.b Nice (school profile | www.alpha-b.fr).
Learn French in France with alpha.b Institut Linguistique
Read more about language features.
Try the IALC course-finder to find the perfect language course. IALC-accredited language schools teach the language of the country in which they are based.